Elisha W. Harris and his wife Ann Eliza arrived in Hardeman County around 1826 settling on land in extreme western Hardeman County near the Fayette/Hardeman County line. Just one year after settling on their newly acquired land Ann Eliza (Moorman) Harris died and was buried near the family’s homestead. Elisha sold his farm in 1832. It is unclear where he resided immediately thereafter, but in 1837 he purchased a tract of land in Fayette County approximately 1 ½ mile to the southwest of his original land holding. Elisha may have taken up residence on his 1837 land purchase prior to buying the property as evidenced by the fact that in 1834 he buried three of his children there. Ten years later in 1844 Elisha buried his second wife, Celestia A. Harris there. (See Elisha W. Harris Family Cemetery #2)
The Harris Cemetery #1 is located in a wooded area near a field edge on what is known today as the Jack Harris Place. It is thought that Ann Eliza’s grave site, which is marked with a small stone, represents the cemetery’s only burial. An interpretative plaque placed at the cemetery provides historical background on the site.
The cemetery has been designated state historic site number 40HM129 by the Tennessee Division of Archaeology. It is located at U.T.M. coordinate E300892 N3886614 which is on the USGS Grand Junction, TN 7.5' quadrangle map.