John W. Jones Family Cemetery

Arriving from Alabama around 1826, the Jones and related Moorman families were among the first to settle in southeast Fayette County.  John W. Jones, the patriarch of the group, along with his wife Martha (Moorman) Jones and other members of the family of deceased Micajah Moorman settled on land which was purchased by Micajah in 1824. It was on this land that John W. began  a plantation that would become known as Cedar Grove.  Cedar Grove Plantation became one of the most productive cotton plantations in the area, resulting in Jones becoming one of the area’s most wealthy and influential residents.  John W. Jones’s descendants sold much of the land base of Cedar Grove to Hobart Ames in 1901.

Established in 1827, this cemetery served as the family burial plot of the Jones family.  Twenty-one gravestones mark the burial sites of 26 individuals who were a part of the extended Jones family.  Investigation of the site has revealed the presence of as many as six unmarked graves.  Located in the cemetery is the gravestone of Collattinus Jones whose burial on January 7, 1827 represents the earliest documented burial in Fayette County.

The cemetery is located on the grounds of the Ames Plantation Manor House on Ellington Road in eastern Fayette County.    Designated state historic site number 40FY338 by the Tennessee Division of Archaeology the cemetery is located at U.T.M. coordinate E298120 N3887801 which is on the USGS Grand Junction, TN 7.5' quadrangle map.

Cemetery Index: