Ames Plantation was established in 1901 by Hobart Ames, a wealthy industrialist from North Easton, MA. He operated the Plantation as a hunting preserve, livestock operation, and cotton plantation until his death in April, 1945 when the property passed to his widow, Mrs. Julia Colony Ames.
Mrs. Ames conceived the idea of memorializing her husband's name prior to her death in January, 1950. In her Will, she satisfied her wishes in this regard by expressing her desire for the Ames Plantation to continue as a part of a perpetual entity she created, the Hobart Ames Foundation. She directed that the Plantation operate under the ownership of the Trustees of the Foundation to benefit The University of Tennessee and to provide grounds and administrative support for the National Championship for field trialing bird dogs.